What is body massage oil?
Massage oil is one of the best ways to take care of the skin on your body. Not only does massage support blood circulation and the lymphatic system, but regular massage also keeps the body sprightly and nourishes the skin with potent antioxidant-rich ingredients. Here is everything you need to know about body massage oil.
Massage oil types
There are two types of oils used in massage: carrier oils and essential oils. Carrier oils are non-fragrant since they are typically extracted from seeds and nuts, while essential oils are fragrant and extracted from plants and flowers. Carrier oils are usually make up the majority of massage oils with extracts of essential oils added.
Types of massage carrier oils include:
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- Avocado oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Rosehip oil
Types of massage essential oils include:
Massage oil benefits
Here are some of the benefits of body massage with a massage oil:
- Improves blood circulation in the body which can help clear out the body of impurities.
- Improves lymphatic drainage which can improve organ function.
- Nourishes the skin with good ingredients that are absorbed into it through massage.
- Can reduce inflammation within the body by improving blood flow.
- Gives the skin a glow because of the ingredients within the massage oil and the techniques employed.
- Can reduce any chronic pain in the body.
Massage oil ayurvedic
Here are some ayurvedic ingredients used in body massage oils:
- Sesame oil: Rich in anti-oxidants, sesame oil will scavenge free radicals on the surface of the skin. Being non-fragrant, it makes for a great carrier oil in body massage oils.
- Castor oil: When it comes to pain relief, castor oil works wonders. It works on joint pain, sore muscles, nerve inflammation, and more.
- Sweet almond oil: Highly anti-inflammatory, sweet almond oil benefits the skin by healing conditions like contact dermatitis, rashes, itchiness, and more,
- Coconut oil: Rich in Vitamin E, coconut oil is a boon for dry skin. Being thicker than most oils it works great as a massage oil and keeps the skin moisturised for longer. Similar to the others, coconut oil is also loaded with anti-oxidants and regular use can result in a healthy glow.
Relaxing massage oil
The following oils are great as relaxing massage oils
- Lavender oil: This essential oil can be found in small quantities in a larger carrier oil since it is so strong that it cannot be directly applied to the skin. However, the scent of lavender is known to relax the body and mind so it works wonders in a massage oil.
- Eucalyptus oil: Similar to lavender oil, eucalyptus is too strong to be directly applied to the surface of the skin, but it has a relaxing medicinal scent that helps you relax during a massage.
- Bergamot oil: A highly relaxing, anti-inflammatory, and scented essential oil is bergamot. Its scent is strong even with just a few drops of bergamot oil added to a carrier oil.
Massage oil after delivery
If you have just given birth and are looking for body massage oils to help your skin’s health, opt for oils rich in antioxidants and Vitamins A and E. Vitamin A can help with fading scars or stretch marks, while Vitamin E is an antioxidant that will scavenge free radicals while deeply moisturising your skin in the process. Some good massage oil recommendations are coconut oil (rich in Vitamin E), and rosehip oil (rich in Vitamin A).