Health and beauty have been deeply entwined since time immemorial. For glowing skin and luscious hair, nourishment from the inside out is indispensable, and both one’s skin and hair tend to be a reflection of one’s health. This is also the founding philosophy behind Ayurvedic skincare and haircare. This ancient Indian school of medicine prescribed herbal ingredients in the form of oils, creams, and extracts for the skin and hair, as well as food to consume.
In other words, Ayurveda aims to heal the body from the inside out. With its time-tested philosophy adored by thousands of devotees, it is no doubt a gentle yet effective way to comprehensively improve wellbeing. How does Ayurveda accomplish this? Traditional Ayurveda categorizes individuals into different doshas or bodily humours. These are known as Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, with each dosha having distinctive features. When it comes to skin health, Ayurvedic oils are prescribed as follows:
- Vata dosha (dry skin): Are prescribed heavier oils to replenish dry skin such as avocado oil, sweet almond oil, bhringaraj, and sesame.
- Pitta dosha (overheated or sensitive skin): Are prescribed neutral or cooling oils such as sunflower oil, castor oil, olive oil, ghee, lavender oil, sandalwood oil, or coconut oil.
- Kapha dosha (oily skin): Are prescribed light oils like safflower oil, canola oil, rosehip oil, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, mustard oil, or flaxseed oil.
Benefits of Ayurvedic oils:
- Targeted Treatment: Ayurvedic oils are crafted with dosha-specific needs in mind. A Kapha skin type tends to overproduce sebum, struggles with clogged pores, and is prone to acne and hyperpigmentation. On the other hand, a Vata skin type struggles to retain water in the skin and struggles with dull skin and dark circles. These skin types might also show signs of aging sooner than other types.
- Multiple Ingredients: Ayurvedic oils geared for each of the types can help treat the cluster of conditions that come with being a Kapha or Pitta skin type. These oils are usually combined to give you a superfood version of a facial oil that can help alleviate multiple skin conditions at once.
- Time Tested Formulas: These formulas behind century-oil Ayurvedic oils like Nalpamaradi oil and Kumkumadi oil have been perfected across the years only to become more precise and effective. You can guarantee that your skin will benefit from using these formulations. These powerful formulas have been effectively used to brighten up the skin tone, treat conditions like eczema, fade hyperpigmentation, and lighten dark circles.
- Mental Benefits: Ayurvedic oils are made using a combination of base oils along with fragrant essential oils. When massaged into the skin, these have a calming effect on the mind and body. They contain soothing extracts of sandalwood, ginger, tea tree, eucalyptus, and more, which work to relax the mind while treating the skin.
To Sum Up
Ayurvedic oils are perhaps the most effective skin treatments if you are looking for a natural alternative to effectively improve your skin’s health. Ensure you opt for cold-pressed oils like those at Auravedic since these oils preserve their nutrition after extraction.